Skip to main content

Konmari-ing My Clothing

I finished watching the first season of Tidying Up with Marie Kondo and I loved it!  I think I was finally able to understand the concepts in her book, by seeing it all in a video format.  I started re-listening to the audio book over the weekend while I was doing the weekly cleaning and it really started to speak to me and things I needed to hear.  Here are the top things I've learned about the process I need to go through:

  1. I do not want my daughter's cast offs.  Those are items that are not going to spark joy for me!  I am the mom that when my daughter purges stuff from her room, that I go through her bags and look for things I want.  I have sweaters from my daughter in with my clothes that I thought I would wear, but never do.  I still like her old sweatpants.  She got rid of them as they were too small in the leg, but my legs are shorter than hers.
  2. I do not want to sell anything that I am purging.  That is poor thinking. I can take my unwanted things to Goodwill and bless someone else with the items that aren't serving me anymore.
  3. I am missing some key items in my wardrobe that will help me put together outfits to wear to work or errands.  I really need new ballet flats in brown or beige, new black closed-toe pumps, a pretty nude color bra and some sweaters that I would like, not hand-me-downs from a teenager.
I believe this is exactly the thing I need to do right now for this phase of my life - my daughter is transitioning to college, we're done having any more children and after this year, it will be just the boys and me until Tom comes back from living in Boulder.

I totally see what people on the show say that it can be overwhelming to go through all their clothing they own in one shot.  I am following the method truthfully, and pulled out all of my clothes at once, the closet, the armoire and my dresser.  Here are some pictures of what I was faced with.








I am more than 3/4 of the way through everything. There are some shoes and clothes that have made it back to my closet.  I have two trash bags full and I need to finish packing up stuff for Goodwill into the back of my car.  It is going straight to the back of the car and out of the house!  Funny thing is the trash service here was supposed to pick up Monday morning, but they didn't come at all yesterday!  I have bags of trash still left over from last week that I couldn't fit in the can!  We usually never fill our trash cans, but between the boys' playroom and now my clothes, I need a week or two to get back to normal on our weekly trash pickup.

I will post after pictures in the next day or two!  I've already setup a drawer for my bras and they look so pretty!!!  I might even post a pic of how cute they look, even though that is slightly embarrassing! I really do like looking for what sparks me joy!  I've always been about finding joy in my life (hence my blog name!) and now I really feel like it's coming my way through Konmari.

Comments

I think you're doing an amazing job, Heather! You're learning what sparks joy and letting go of what doesn't.

Yay!

Popular posts from this blog

Bouncing Back From Depression

I've been pretty depressed lately. Monday I hit my all time low, which coincidentally was also my dad's birthday. Needless to say I'm sure I'm on his not favorite child list as I forgot to call him I was so depressed. This whole two mortgage thing with no contract in site is really frustrating. Especially when lots of other houses on our block are selling. Our house is really very lovely, just no pool. It has a really flat backyard perfect for putting a pool in though. Anyway, on Monday, Mom called to make sure I didn't forget to call Dad and tell me she read my blog over the weekend and sent me an email about it. Sorry, Mom, I still have yet to check my emails to see what you had to say. Mom told me I needed to bury a statue of St. Joseph in the yard to get it to sell quicker. Wish I knew that sooner. I was going to wait for her to mail me hers, but yesterday I got really mad at myself and wanted to do something to improve my situation, so I found the nea

Bad Dreams Go Away Magic Spell

Wow! Two posts in one day!!! I just had to blog about this. Indigo Girl had posted about her daughter having bad dreams and looking for advice. I had to post what we do in our house to keep away bad dreams. I have to admit it was one of my most brilliant mommy moments as I pulled this one out of my a$$ when I came up with it. When Phoebe was about 3 or 4 years old, she started complaining about nightmares. I knew it was half true and half stalling for bedtime. She has always been very into witches, wizards and spells (heck she was named after the character on Charmed and my due date was Halloween), so I came up with a magic spell on the spot to keep away bad dreams. I figured all it had to do was rhyme. I will share it with you all and feel free to try it if you need it: Bad dreams, bad dreams go away In Phoebe's dreams she must play She should dream of ice cream and cake Until the morning when she wakes She loves it! She still asks for it sometimes if she's had a ni

Phoebe's Fifth Grade School Picture

Here's Phoebe's 5th Grade School Picture.  I really like her in red or bright colors.  She's definitely becoming quite the little lady.