Skip to main content

Some Rantings, Proud Mama Stories and Arm Farts

I've really been in a funk the past few days. I'm getting a lot done at work, but not much on the home front. But in general, it seems like things always take longer than I would like them to. I just wish sometimes I could curl up in bed with a good book until this feeling goes away or vegetate in front of a recorded episode of Footballers Wives. Heck with that Desparate Housewives. Footballers Wives is much much better. And my hair looks like Tanya's these days. That scares me quite a bit. Maybe I could get a new career if I develop some of those "over-acting" faces. LOL!

Phoebe keeps me smiling though. She's really gotten into watching Star Trek: The Next Generation with me. I love this and the original show. The themes and existing life parallels are wonderful. We've been having some good conversations around the themes of the episodes. There's one we watched last week where Worf's son, Alexander, is not interested in learning to fight like other Klingon's do. That he does not want to kill a simulated warrior in the Halodeck. Phoebe asked me why not. I asked her why she thought so. It took awhile to get her real feelings out of her. I mentioned that Alexander is only a little older than her and how would she feel if she was told to kill someone. She said she wouldn't want to because it was mean. Sounds like a heavy conversation to have with a five-year-old, but we talked alot about how Alexander grows up to use his intellect and communication skills to help Klingons find peace, which is the final point of the episode. She really gets it, so I don't mind talking at what some people may say is above her age level.

She also loves math. I had three worksheets of addition in her cubby today. Her teacher said that it wasn't part of her lesson plan today, but Phoebe and her friend Sarah were playing a math game in the corner at school and then they were asking their teacher to confirm some of the addition they were working that was over 10. Phoebe and Sarah were the only kids to do these addition worksheets today. They asked for them. And they say girls aren't good in math! It kind of reminds me of when I was in first grade and this one boy and I used to compete to see who could memorize the higher multiplication tables first.

But I seem to be raising an athletic geek. She's really paying attention at ice skating and trying to do the skills over and over until she gets them right. It's kind of like the monkey bars at her grandparents house. She fell off them this weekend and was crying that her hip hurt. Everyone thought she was going to end up in the ER. Then she decided all of a sudden that she wanted to go in the pool. An hour later, she's back on the monkey bars. She just thinks its great that she can do these things and wants to keep at it until she gets it completely the way she wants it. V. determined. She's been learning a lot of new things lately. She's been snapping her fingers constantly. It's like living with my own do-wop singer. She can pour her own cereal and milk in the morning. She can not only brush her hair by herself, but recently learned how to put it in a ponytail. But out of all the things she's learned to do lately, the one she is most proud of is arm farts. Her cousin Jake taught her how to do arm farts and she thinks that's the best skill of all. I think I'd rather her be snapping her fingers.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Arm farts.lol
Isn't mama proud?lol
Anonymous said…
We raised three boys so I know about arm farts. We have 4 grandsons and the ten year old has now graduated from the arm to the real thing.

Popular posts from this blog

Bouncing Back From Depression

I've been pretty depressed lately. Monday I hit my all time low, which coincidentally was also my dad's birthday. Needless to say I'm sure I'm on his not favorite child list as I forgot to call him I was so depressed. This whole two mortgage thing with no contract in site is really frustrating. Especially when lots of other houses on our block are selling. Our house is really very lovely, just no pool. It has a really flat backyard perfect for putting a pool in though. Anyway, on Monday, Mom called to make sure I didn't forget to call Dad and tell me she read my blog over the weekend and sent me an email about it. Sorry, Mom, I still have yet to check my emails to see what you had to say. Mom told me I needed to bury a statue of St. Joseph in the yard to get it to sell quicker. Wish I knew that sooner. I was going to wait for her to mail me hers, but yesterday I got really mad at myself and wanted to do something to improve my situation, so I found the nea

Bad Dreams Go Away Magic Spell

Wow! Two posts in one day!!! I just had to blog about this. Indigo Girl had posted about her daughter having bad dreams and looking for advice. I had to post what we do in our house to keep away bad dreams. I have to admit it was one of my most brilliant mommy moments as I pulled this one out of my a$$ when I came up with it. When Phoebe was about 3 or 4 years old, she started complaining about nightmares. I knew it was half true and half stalling for bedtime. She has always been very into witches, wizards and spells (heck she was named after the character on Charmed and my due date was Halloween), so I came up with a magic spell on the spot to keep away bad dreams. I figured all it had to do was rhyme. I will share it with you all and feel free to try it if you need it: Bad dreams, bad dreams go away In Phoebe's dreams she must play She should dream of ice cream and cake Until the morning when she wakes She loves it! She still asks for it sometimes if she's had a ni

Phoebe's Fifth Grade School Picture

Here's Phoebe's 5th Grade School Picture.  I really like her in red or bright colors.  She's definitely becoming quite the little lady.