Skip to main content

Feminist Motherhood

Great post yesterday from Motherhood Uncensored! Kudos to her for having a phone conversation with THE Gloria Steinem! They had an interesting conversation on men being more involved in child rearing, and it's prompting me to write on the topic. For those of you that read this that are about to have babies, pay attention....

My husband is a very involved father. He doesn't do everything exactly the way I would, but does anyone ever? I knew right from the get-go to let him take care of Phoebe in his own way when I'm not doing it. I have to say, we split raising her 50/50. I can't say that about house work, but he does his share. I just prefer things cleaner, more often than he does, so when I clean it's for me more than anyone else and I know that. When Phoebe was a baby, I never said he was "babysitting" when I went to the hairdressers. Babysitting is when it's not really your child. People would ask and I'd say, "She's with her father." When I would come home the house would usually be a mess, especially when she was a toddler, as they wouldn't always clean up after themselves immediately, but who cares. They were having fun.

Fast forward to today. Phoebe started Kindergarten the week before Labor Day. The whole first week, Tom did drop off and pick up from school. He made her lunch everyday. I'll be honest, I made her lunch for the first time last night and I had to ask him to make sure I was doing it right! He checks her homework and what papers need to be sent back to the teacher and such. He's a right awesome Dad!

Granted, some weeks or months even may not seem 50/50. He may have work or school commitments taking up his time and I pick up the slack, or like the first week she was in school, he had to pick up the slack for me.

It's funny to read about that conversation with Gloria Steinem. I always knew I was a feminist, and my motherhood style proves it!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awesome. I envy you. My husband doesn't get the 50-50 thing, but I admit after talking with Gloria - I'm inspired overall in my role as feminist mother.
Mom101 said…
This is a great post and congrats for finding a husband who is comfortable sharing responsibilities. As Gloria
put it on the call, we've spent so long proving that women can do a man's job - but forgotten to prove that men can do a woman's job. Glad your man is proving it for all of them.
Anonymous said…
I guess I can't say that it's exactly 50/50 in our house since my husband works outside the home all day and I work at home - but my husband would love to be a stay-at-home dad (if only we could survive on just my salary!).

He gets offended when anyone refers to him as "babysitting," is equally as capable as me in every way, and takes care of our son full-time all summer. All in all, it's a great arrangement for us. I have a hard time thinking about it in any other way. My husband loves taking care of our son, and that includes all of the not-so-fun stuff too. We both consider ourselves feminist parents.
Kellie said…
I'm not sure it's 50/50 in our household but it's pretty close.

Nice post.

PS. I just tagged you. The details are on my blog.

Cheers.

Popular posts from this blog

Bouncing Back From Depression

I've been pretty depressed lately. Monday I hit my all time low, which coincidentally was also my dad's birthday. Needless to say I'm sure I'm on his not favorite child list as I forgot to call him I was so depressed. This whole two mortgage thing with no contract in site is really frustrating. Especially when lots of other houses on our block are selling. Our house is really very lovely, just no pool. It has a really flat backyard perfect for putting a pool in though. Anyway, on Monday, Mom called to make sure I didn't forget to call Dad and tell me she read my blog over the weekend and sent me an email about it. Sorry, Mom, I still have yet to check my emails to see what you had to say. Mom told me I needed to bury a statue of St. Joseph in the yard to get it to sell quicker. Wish I knew that sooner. I was going to wait for her to mail me hers, but yesterday I got really mad at myself and wanted to do something to improve my situation, so I found the nea

Bad Dreams Go Away Magic Spell

Wow! Two posts in one day!!! I just had to blog about this. Indigo Girl had posted about her daughter having bad dreams and looking for advice. I had to post what we do in our house to keep away bad dreams. I have to admit it was one of my most brilliant mommy moments as I pulled this one out of my a$$ when I came up with it. When Phoebe was about 3 or 4 years old, she started complaining about nightmares. I knew it was half true and half stalling for bedtime. She has always been very into witches, wizards and spells (heck she was named after the character on Charmed and my due date was Halloween), so I came up with a magic spell on the spot to keep away bad dreams. I figured all it had to do was rhyme. I will share it with you all and feel free to try it if you need it: Bad dreams, bad dreams go away In Phoebe's dreams she must play She should dream of ice cream and cake Until the morning when she wakes She loves it! She still asks for it sometimes if she's had a ni

Phoebe's Fifth Grade School Picture

Here's Phoebe's 5th Grade School Picture.  I really like her in red or bright colors.  She's definitely becoming quite the little lady.