Skip to main content

First Day of Homework

Today it hit me. I have a school-age child. No more preschooler is she.

We're trying a new schedule these days. Tom's taking Phoebe to the YMCA morning program, and I'm trying to leave work early to pick her up from her after-school program. I picked her up today and I'm watching her while we're walking to the car. Here is this almost 4-foot tall girl walking next to me with a backpack and lunch bag. Wait a minute this girl is mine! She looks so sure of herself, so old. All last week I didn't get to witness this by myself, so I don't think I had time to register it. Too many things were going on in my mind last week.

She had her first homework assignment tonight, and I'm very pleased with how I handled it. She said she did her homework during the afterschool program time. I cleaned out her bag as soon as we got in the house and we found her homework. I wasn't really pleased with what she did, but I held my tongue.

The assignment was to draw a picture of your family, including pets, on the sheet given with the instructions and have your parents write everyone's name in the picture when complete so they can use it in the future for their writing assignments. Phoebe had drew all of us with just one crayon color and it was kind of messy. She told me first that she didn't like it. I asked why and she said she drew Daddy smaller than me. I told her she could redo it while I was making dinner. Since she needed to use the instruction sheet, I taped white paper over where she drew already and put it in the copier/printer and gave her the fresh assignment sheet I made. The next one she did still wasn't that great ... we all had yellow hair. BTW, as I know most parents can, I know what my daughter is capable of and that's why I say it was not that great.

You have to understand. Phoebe is a very good artist and her attention to detail in her drawings is amazing. I knew she was rushing through the assignment. Every year, she draws a family portrait for me and I hang it up at work. Every year's drawing is more amazing than the next. But even when she was little, she always used appropriate colors for our hair: Phoebe - brown, Tom - black and me - yellow.

I made a comment to Phoebe that we all had yellow hair and she noticed that her Daddy's hair was too long too. I asked her if she wanted to try again. She did, so I made another clean assignment sheet in the copier. Before I gave her this one. I told her not to be in such a hurry to finish, to have fun, and draw us the way she sees us. The last one was fantastic.

I'm really glad with how we both handled this first assignment. I didn't criticize but coached. I was trying to avoid the p word - perfect. She has a tendancy to want everything to be perfec and I'm trying to counteract that. The last picture was the work I knew she was capable of. This time, she drew specific clothes on us, in different colors and lots of detail, we all had the right color hair, and to make her happy also, we were all the right height in the picture.

Wow! My baby is definitely no longer my baby, and we did homework!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bouncing Back From Depression

I've been pretty depressed lately. Monday I hit my all time low, which coincidentally was also my dad's birthday. Needless to say I'm sure I'm on his not favorite child list as I forgot to call him I was so depressed. This whole two mortgage thing with no contract in site is really frustrating. Especially when lots of other houses on our block are selling. Our house is really very lovely, just no pool. It has a really flat backyard perfect for putting a pool in though. Anyway, on Monday, Mom called to make sure I didn't forget to call Dad and tell me she read my blog over the weekend and sent me an email about it. Sorry, Mom, I still have yet to check my emails to see what you had to say. Mom told me I needed to bury a statue of St. Joseph in the yard to get it to sell quicker. Wish I knew that sooner. I was going to wait for her to mail me hers, but yesterday I got really mad at myself and wanted to do something to improve my situation, so I found the nea

Bad Dreams Go Away Magic Spell

Wow! Two posts in one day!!! I just had to blog about this. Indigo Girl had posted about her daughter having bad dreams and looking for advice. I had to post what we do in our house to keep away bad dreams. I have to admit it was one of my most brilliant mommy moments as I pulled this one out of my a$$ when I came up with it. When Phoebe was about 3 or 4 years old, she started complaining about nightmares. I knew it was half true and half stalling for bedtime. She has always been very into witches, wizards and spells (heck she was named after the character on Charmed and my due date was Halloween), so I came up with a magic spell on the spot to keep away bad dreams. I figured all it had to do was rhyme. I will share it with you all and feel free to try it if you need it: Bad dreams, bad dreams go away In Phoebe's dreams she must play She should dream of ice cream and cake Until the morning when she wakes She loves it! She still asks for it sometimes if she's had a ni

Phoebe's Fifth Grade School Picture

Here's Phoebe's 5th Grade School Picture.  I really like her in red or bright colors.  She's definitely becoming quite the little lady.