Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep or "Things That Go Beep in the Night"

Since the boys were premature more than 8 weeks, they had to come home with apnea monitors. Liam had problems with his heart rate or breathing stopping while in the hospital and he was on caffeine for the issue, so this made sense. But no matter, they both needed to come home with them. We should be able to turn them in the end of this month, which is one month past my original due date. I can't wait..... It's such a pain not being able to just pick up your baby from their crib and walk around with them if they get fussy. With the apnea monitors you have to turn off the machine, unplug the wires and then pick up your baby. You have no idea how many times I've picked up one of the babies and started to walk away from the crib only to be pulled back when I get to the end of the length of cable to the monitor. I'm trying very hard to make sure that if these aren't necessary that we can get off using them as soon as possible.

Lately Tommy has been setting his off for not breathing, but it doesn't look like that is a problem at all. I've had several instances where I can be looking at Tommy while the monitor is going off still saying he's not breathing while I watch his chest moving up and down. I left a message for the nurse at our pediatrician's office to follow up with the doctor, but I didn't hear back from them today. Which is not a problem as it's not urgent and I'm sure she needs to catch up to our doctor. I know our doctor mentioned at their two month check that it could be reflex and to try raising the top of the crib mattress, but when we do that, he slides down the mattress. It's not like we are allowed to have blankets and gel packs to hold the babies in place in their cribs due to SIDS safety precautions. I'm sure these monitors are very helpful for some babies, but ours seem to be doing so well and Liam (who we've had the concern with) doesn't set his off at all (knocking on wood here!) that I'm sure we'll be ready to give these monitors back on our due date. Let's all keep our fingers crossed that our doctor agrees.


seussgirl said…
Oh my, I can totally relate. Our boys were on those stupid monitors for 6 months after they came home, and I was so sick and tired of them by then. I pretty much never left the nursery because I couldn't carry 2 boys and 2 monitors down the stairs. And can you believe we JUST got the bills resolved for those things almost an entire year later?
I hope your boys get off them soon!
Martha said…
I hope they can get off the apnea monitors very soon. They sound so adorable.
sara said…
Oh my....I hope you guys get to be "wireless" soon so everyone gets a little more peace at home. ((hugs)) So good to hear from you...i miss checking in on everyone :-)
Piccinigirl said…
I too hope they can get off the monitors, I can only imagine how hard it's been.
They sound like they are doing well. Good for you and them. :)
Mel said…
Yuck! We have the SIDS monitor that makes this ear-piercing beep if it doesn't sense baby's breathing, and I forget that silly thing all the time. I can't even imagine having to deal with wires too! Hope the boys get to shed those very, very soon.

Glad to hear all is going well at your house. :) *hugs*
cat said…
Oh I hope they get off them soon. I am glad you are doing so well.

Popular posts from this blog

Improving Habits

Diet Beta Test - Learning Starts April 24th