Skip to main content

Summer Camp Day 9 - Grandmothers and Mother

Day 9 – What is the most important lesson you learned from your own mother (or other primary caretaker)? What do you imagine the name of your Grandmother’s blog would be and what would she write about?

I like this post, as I've always felt a kinship to the women that came before me in my family.  I feel like I'm a culmination of all they worked and prayed for and that those who have passed watch over me.  Anytime I ever get in a tough spot, I'll say to myself, "What would Nana Royal do?"  or something of the like.  I might also say a quick prayer to them to ask for help in what I'm going through.  I'm sure they were not perfect, but they were tough cookies and they always got things done.  I don't think there's a weak one of us in the lot.  

The most important lesson I learned from my mother is that learning is a lifelong achievement, you can begin something new at any time, and education is the most important thing in being able to support yourself well.  My mother decided to go back to school and get a nursing degree when I was in 4th grade.  My dad supported her in this endeavor, which I also learned from both of them how to be supportive in a marriage to meet common goals.  She graduated when I was in 6th or 7th grade and I was so proud.  I vowed I wasn't going to have to go through that when my kids were small and I was going to college right from high school and get a good career that I liked.  I did just that, and my college education has really helped me be able to help support my family.  

I can think of some really interesting blog names if my grandmother's had blogs. My mom's mom would be something like (and please don't be offended), "Shops like a Jewish Grandmother".  She's always proud of the deals she can find.  My dad's mom would have to be something like "Tales of a Dysfunctional Sicilian Family".  I can't think of what my Great Grandmother would name her blog.  She was my mother's grandmother and she was alive until 1994 when she was 93 years old.  She was awesome.  She'd probably write about recipes, politics and current events.  Her last year was rough with a brain tumor, but before that, she was the only 90 year old I ever knew that wanted complete control over her life, she lived on her own, only relied on people to take her to the grocery store and doctor's appointments and knew everything that was going on in the world around her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bouncing Back From Depression

I've been pretty depressed lately. Monday I hit my all time low, which coincidentally was also my dad's birthday. Needless to say I'm sure I'm on his not favorite child list as I forgot to call him I was so depressed. This whole two mortgage thing with no contract in site is really frustrating. Especially when lots of other houses on our block are selling. Our house is really very lovely, just no pool. It has a really flat backyard perfect for putting a pool in though. Anyway, on Monday, Mom called to make sure I didn't forget to call Dad and tell me she read my blog over the weekend and sent me an email about it. Sorry, Mom, I still have yet to check my emails to see what you had to say. Mom told me I needed to bury a statue of St. Joseph in the yard to get it to sell quicker. Wish I knew that sooner. I was going to wait for her to mail me hers, but yesterday I got really mad at myself and wanted to do something to improve my situation, so I found the nea

Bad Dreams Go Away Magic Spell

Wow! Two posts in one day!!! I just had to blog about this. Indigo Girl had posted about her daughter having bad dreams and looking for advice. I had to post what we do in our house to keep away bad dreams. I have to admit it was one of my most brilliant mommy moments as I pulled this one out of my a$$ when I came up with it. When Phoebe was about 3 or 4 years old, she started complaining about nightmares. I knew it was half true and half stalling for bedtime. She has always been very into witches, wizards and spells (heck she was named after the character on Charmed and my due date was Halloween), so I came up with a magic spell on the spot to keep away bad dreams. I figured all it had to do was rhyme. I will share it with you all and feel free to try it if you need it: Bad dreams, bad dreams go away In Phoebe's dreams she must play She should dream of ice cream and cake Until the morning when she wakes She loves it! She still asks for it sometimes if she's had a ni

Phoebe's Fifth Grade School Picture

Here's Phoebe's 5th Grade School Picture.  I really like her in red or bright colors.  She's definitely becoming quite the little lady.