Skip to main content

First Day of School/Back To Work

Phoebe had her first day of school yesterday and I think she really liked it. As usual, it was hard to get information out of her about what she did. She goes to the YMCA for a morning program and then they bus her over to PM Kindergarten. After school, she's in the cafeteria with the YMCA afterschool program. She eats her packed lunch at the Y and then has a snack she has to bring at the after school program.

We asked her if she made any friends at the YMCA, and she said no, but this morning Tom found out she did make a friend named Heather and they hugged each other when he dropped her off and they went to circle time holding hands. That made me feel much better, because both Tom and I were not happy with the chaos we witnessed at the morning program yesterday. I tried to remind myself it was the first day back to school and everyone was trying to get their bearings and all the kids were over excited about the first day of Kindergarten.

She really liked the bus ride to school and told us they have lap seat belts and sat right up front behind the driver. We also were able to nudge out of her that the "Creative Movement" special activity at Kindergarten is with a different teacher than her homeroom teacher and that they were all on the stage and in lines and had to move to different areas of the stage if they agreed with something the teacher said like "I like ice cream" or "who has hair". We also found out she played on the playground in the after school program and then they played games in the cafeteria.

One way to tell the success of the day was that Phoebe was really tired when we got home. We could barely get her to sit up straight during dinner, and she went to bed with no need for reminders not to play or look at books. She did wake up in the middle of the night and came into our bed from a bad dream. I sent her back into her own room when our alarm started going off around 5:30 AM. We try to let her sleep until 7 AM, but she woke up early.

BTW, I love Tom on this break from school. He's been awesome! Very helpful with dinner, putting Phoebe's stuff together, etc. We've also agreed that he will take Phoebe to school and I'll pick her up, which is awesome! I haven't had to do both drop off and pick up duties in a long time. Not since he started working from home and going back to school himself. I could get used to this!

I went back to work yesterday, and got a rental car until mine is fixed. I really, really miss my car. I don't like the windshield of this car. It's too small and I feel like it blocks my view a lot. Work was good, but I had a bit of a headache by the end of the day, so we both chilled out last night after cleaning up from dinner, getting things ready for the morning and getting Phoebe ready for bed.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Big girl! So exciting!!

Popular posts from this blog

Bouncing Back From Depression

I've been pretty depressed lately. Monday I hit my all time low, which coincidentally was also my dad's birthday. Needless to say I'm sure I'm on his not favorite child list as I forgot to call him I was so depressed. This whole two mortgage thing with no contract in site is really frustrating. Especially when lots of other houses on our block are selling. Our house is really very lovely, just no pool. It has a really flat backyard perfect for putting a pool in though. Anyway, on Monday, Mom called to make sure I didn't forget to call Dad and tell me she read my blog over the weekend and sent me an email about it. Sorry, Mom, I still have yet to check my emails to see what you had to say. Mom told me I needed to bury a statue of St. Joseph in the yard to get it to sell quicker. Wish I knew that sooner. I was going to wait for her to mail me hers, but yesterday I got really mad at myself and wanted to do something to improve my situation, so I found the nea

Bad Dreams Go Away Magic Spell

Wow! Two posts in one day!!! I just had to blog about this. Indigo Girl had posted about her daughter having bad dreams and looking for advice. I had to post what we do in our house to keep away bad dreams. I have to admit it was one of my most brilliant mommy moments as I pulled this one out of my a$$ when I came up with it. When Phoebe was about 3 or 4 years old, she started complaining about nightmares. I knew it was half true and half stalling for bedtime. She has always been very into witches, wizards and spells (heck she was named after the character on Charmed and my due date was Halloween), so I came up with a magic spell on the spot to keep away bad dreams. I figured all it had to do was rhyme. I will share it with you all and feel free to try it if you need it: Bad dreams, bad dreams go away In Phoebe's dreams she must play She should dream of ice cream and cake Until the morning when she wakes She loves it! She still asks for it sometimes if she's had a ni

Phoebe's Fifth Grade School Picture

Here's Phoebe's 5th Grade School Picture.  I really like her in red or bright colors.  She's definitely becoming quite the little lady.