Skip to main content

Future WNBA star in family (1); Appts to see house for sale (2)

I don't think I've mentioned yet that I think I have a future WNBA star for a daughter. Not that she's great at shooting a basketball yet, but at 5 1/2 she can dribble the ball and walk very quickly and keep it going the whole time. The reason I bring this up is that at her school this week, they are allowed to bring in something special from home each day. Yesterday's theme was an outside toy. She immediately wanted to bring her basketball. When we get home from work/school, it's one of her favorite things to do to grab the basketball in the garage and start dribbling it around. We're getting a basketball hoop for our driveway sometime in the summer. Then the real fun will begin.

The driveway at the new house is getting its official pavement today. They came really early of course, and I wasn't completely ready for the day yet. I was not in a great mood last night and kind of took it easy. AF started yesterday evening. Thank God, because I was really bitchy all afternoon yesterday. It was almost a relief. However, I've had some pressing financial concerns that were weighing on me for the past two days. I've been worried about what taxes we might be responsible for paying out of pocket this year instead of the bank having in escrow. I was told that with new construction we would owe all our taxes ourselves this year and they wouldn't be in escrow. Well that had me scared. I looked at our settlement sheet last night and I felt much better. I know at least that we paid 10 months of school taxes (which is the most expensive one) at settlement. After that sigh of relief I just wanted a glass of red wine and to relax. I fell asleep on the couch and woke up at 3 AM and went to my bed. I'm glad I chilled last night, because I'm much more motivated today.

Also just to complain. I'm really sick of hearing people say that even though gas prices are rising that it's not affecting the behavior of consumers. I am a consumer, and I'll tell you, I'm not going a lot of places because of the price of gas. My habits are definately affected. I also would like to get a cute little car like a new VW Bug or a mini-Cooper in order to save on gas for my daily commute, but then DH won't be able to drive it on weekends. It's not like I drive an SUV or anything. It's just a mid-size sedan, but it takes premium gas which is getting to be a pain. I like Bugs. My dad had a yellow one when I was a kid and we went 1/2 hour once on fumes.

Comments

Kellie said…
We moved in our house the end of September so our property taxes (the first year) were only based upon the house being built for 3 months - the rest of the taxes were based upon the lot being empty. We lucked out. I never considered what would have happened if we had built earlier in the year. I would have been freaking too. Glad you got it figured out though...

Thanks for the comments on my blog today. I SO long to go back to the days of watching my kids playing basketball and show and tell at school. Enjoy every minute of it, it certainly doesn't last long (enough). The only thing my daughter wanted for her birthday this year was an electric guitar and eyeliner. I got her both but I also got her a barbie doll as a joke. (Well she'll think it's a joke but for me it was very symbolic.)
Shal said…
the bug/mini cooper are so great with the gas mileage. I wish we had one also :) we just bought an old 1971 bug to restore.. so it will be a while before it's driveable!

Popular posts from this blog

Bouncing Back From Depression

I've been pretty depressed lately. Monday I hit my all time low, which coincidentally was also my dad's birthday. Needless to say I'm sure I'm on his not favorite child list as I forgot to call him I was so depressed. This whole two mortgage thing with no contract in site is really frustrating. Especially when lots of other houses on our block are selling. Our house is really very lovely, just no pool. It has a really flat backyard perfect for putting a pool in though. Anyway, on Monday, Mom called to make sure I didn't forget to call Dad and tell me she read my blog over the weekend and sent me an email about it. Sorry, Mom, I still have yet to check my emails to see what you had to say. Mom told me I needed to bury a statue of St. Joseph in the yard to get it to sell quicker. Wish I knew that sooner. I was going to wait for her to mail me hers, but yesterday I got really mad at myself and wanted to do something to improve my situation, so I found the nea

Bad Dreams Go Away Magic Spell

Wow! Two posts in one day!!! I just had to blog about this. Indigo Girl had posted about her daughter having bad dreams and looking for advice. I had to post what we do in our house to keep away bad dreams. I have to admit it was one of my most brilliant mommy moments as I pulled this one out of my a$$ when I came up with it. When Phoebe was about 3 or 4 years old, she started complaining about nightmares. I knew it was half true and half stalling for bedtime. She has always been very into witches, wizards and spells (heck she was named after the character on Charmed and my due date was Halloween), so I came up with a magic spell on the spot to keep away bad dreams. I figured all it had to do was rhyme. I will share it with you all and feel free to try it if you need it: Bad dreams, bad dreams go away In Phoebe's dreams she must play She should dream of ice cream and cake Until the morning when she wakes She loves it! She still asks for it sometimes if she's had a ni

Phoebe's Fifth Grade School Picture

Here's Phoebe's 5th Grade School Picture.  I really like her in red or bright colors.  She's definitely becoming quite the little lady.