Skip to main content

The Transmission Died and Other Stuff

So the transmission in DH's car needed to be replaced. Go figure. I guess the car knew one of us had a bonus coming in soon, so it had to take it's share. It's been in the shop since Wednesday night and we'll be picking it up tomorrow (Monday). We're all of here for the holiday tomorrow, and I'm glad, because we have a busy day tomorrow. Chiropractors in the AM, pick up car and pay huge sum of money, and I'm getting my color touched up tomorrow. I really need to update my pic in the corner, as I don't look a thing like that anymore. I need my auburn hair color pic. I bet I'll get it updated right before I start going blonde again for the summer. BTW, having dark hair helped me find my first grey hair last week. Grey hairs aren't as noticable when blond roots are coming in, but when your roots are coming back onto dark hair, they kind of pop out. So there it was just one, on the top, middle part of my head. So I guess it's official that I color my hair for a reason now. BTW, finding my first grey does not bother me at all. I figure at almost 36 it's about time.

Friday was very exciting for Phoebe. Since Tom had to go to school on Friday, I let him take my car and I worked from home. In order to do that, I worked it out with Phoebe's school for her to take the bus to and from home, instead of the Y. That meant she was going on her first big school bus ride! She was so excited when I was dropping her off, she didn't even want to talk to the other boy that was waiting. She sat on the curb with her bus pass in her hand and waited. I've never seen her so quiet in all my life. She barely ate lunch too before I took her over. When she got dropped off, I found out she sat on the bus both ways with the boy at her stop and he's nice to talk to. I also found out in a very excited voice that, "Zach that's in her class with Mrs. Franks lives around the corner from us!" She's also been awesome while we were homebound with no car. She's been doing a lot of things for herself, not getting frustrated when things don't go her way (big problem around here!) and cleaning up all her messes when I ask with no complaints. Oooo, and did I mention she's been doing things the first time I ask most of the time! What more could a mom ask?

On the yoga thing, the one DVD I like is AM/PM yoga with Rodney Yee and Patricia Walden. They both practice Iyengar yoga, so they are pretty good. They don't hold poses though, but for a flow-type yoga, they are pretty good. Most of my practice is built from the three years of classes I had with Michael Fahey in Wilmington. He studies with Joan White in Philly and she is the best Iyengar yoga teacher in the US. She actually runs their teacher training program here in the states. I'm dying to meet her someday. If there are any classes in your area from an Iyengar instructor, I highly recommend going. The adjustments you'll receive and particular attention to the areas you need to work on will be worth it. I use the book I mentioned now as my guide. I will hold my poses as long as I feel comfortable and can do work in them. Depending on the pose, this length varies. My camel pose I have big issues with, especially in my lower back, so I will only hold for about three breaths while I try to elongate my lower back. Triangle pose, maybe a minute or two while I'm making adjustments. Headstands I can do five minutes against the wall, but I'm working up to 20 minutes. Hope this all helps!

Comments

Lauren said…
Blogger wasn't letting me post comments for a couple of days otherwise I would have done this sooner.

I can almost feel your pain with the transmission. My van keeps having transmission leaks. We spend a few hundred dollars to get it fixed then a few months later it leaks again. So now after about $1000 and 3 different trips to the mechanic I hope it doesn't spring a new leak. Cars can be such a pain in the neck.

Popular posts from this blog

Bouncing Back From Depression

I've been pretty depressed lately. Monday I hit my all time low, which coincidentally was also my dad's birthday. Needless to say I'm sure I'm on his not favorite child list as I forgot to call him I was so depressed. This whole two mortgage thing with no contract in site is really frustrating. Especially when lots of other houses on our block are selling. Our house is really very lovely, just no pool. It has a really flat backyard perfect for putting a pool in though. Anyway, on Monday, Mom called to make sure I didn't forget to call Dad and tell me she read my blog over the weekend and sent me an email about it. Sorry, Mom, I still have yet to check my emails to see what you had to say. Mom told me I needed to bury a statue of St. Joseph in the yard to get it to sell quicker. Wish I knew that sooner. I was going to wait for her to mail me hers, but yesterday I got really mad at myself and wanted to do something to improve my situation, so I found the nea

Bad Dreams Go Away Magic Spell

Wow! Two posts in one day!!! I just had to blog about this. Indigo Girl had posted about her daughter having bad dreams and looking for advice. I had to post what we do in our house to keep away bad dreams. I have to admit it was one of my most brilliant mommy moments as I pulled this one out of my a$$ when I came up with it. When Phoebe was about 3 or 4 years old, she started complaining about nightmares. I knew it was half true and half stalling for bedtime. She has always been very into witches, wizards and spells (heck she was named after the character on Charmed and my due date was Halloween), so I came up with a magic spell on the spot to keep away bad dreams. I figured all it had to do was rhyme. I will share it with you all and feel free to try it if you need it: Bad dreams, bad dreams go away In Phoebe's dreams she must play She should dream of ice cream and cake Until the morning when she wakes She loves it! She still asks for it sometimes if she's had a ni

Phoebe's Fifth Grade School Picture

Here's Phoebe's 5th Grade School Picture.  I really like her in red or bright colors.  She's definitely becoming quite the little lady.