Skip to main content

Yoga and Stuff

Lauren, I'm so sorry to hear that your experience with yoga wasn't that great. I also once went to a class where they had you breath at certain times. I couldn't get the hang of it either. BTW, there are several different styles of yoga and each one is different. I'd suggest trying a different yoga class, especially if you can find an Iyengar yoga class. That is what I've practiced for several years and there is no emphasis breath at certain times. The whole point is to get into a pose and stay there for a minute or more, have a relaxed breath and let your mind focus on the feelings in the different areas of the body and how to fix your alignment to be more precise. It's funny, but I haven't been in a class in awhile, but I can still hear my teacher's voice when I practice at home, "internally rotate your thighs in this pose .... make sure you're pushing down through your heels .... lift your sit bones to the sky!" Julia Indichova discusses discovering yoga as part of her infertility treatment in her book Inconceivable. She does mention that it is Iyengar yoga she practices. Which makes a lot of sense as this style of yoga does have physical therapy components. I started this because of my lower back problems, and it stopped me from needing to go to physical therapy 3x/week for sciatica.

So other things on my yoga practice. I'm really enjoying getting "to my mat" everyday. There are certain poses I have a difficult time with mostly backbends. I've been trying a ustrasana every day for a little bit, trying to build up my stamina for being is this pose. I know my problem is that these are the areas of my body I have a hard time opening up ... my heart, my abdomen. Knowing what I do about the emotional work in yoga, I believe I close these areas off to protect myself from pain, and I'm not talking physical pain although I know this area is tough on my lower back if I don't do it right and strengthen and elongate my back muscles. The exciting thing is that every day this pose is a little bit easier and I can stay here and do more work in the posture. V exciting!

The uggghh part of the day is I think we're going to have to sink a chunk of change into the transmission of DH's car. He went to Aberdeen, MD today and was having a hard time driving at higher speeds and it's making lovely noises. I told him we should see if we can drop off the car at the dealer tonight and they can look at it tomorrow. The bad part is that he has to go to school this Friday, so I may need to work from home that day and be without a car until he gets home on Saturday evening.

Talking about Saturday evening ...... go Eagles!!! I plan to be at home watching the game with all my fingers and toes crossed.

Comments

Bonsai said…
Hi! I just started lurking here and I was wondering if you have a particular tape/dvd you use or just follow along in the book? How do you know how long to hold the pose? Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Bouncing Back From Depression

I've been pretty depressed lately. Monday I hit my all time low, which coincidentally was also my dad's birthday. Needless to say I'm sure I'm on his not favorite child list as I forgot to call him I was so depressed. This whole two mortgage thing with no contract in site is really frustrating. Especially when lots of other houses on our block are selling. Our house is really very lovely, just no pool. It has a really flat backyard perfect for putting a pool in though. Anyway, on Monday, Mom called to make sure I didn't forget to call Dad and tell me she read my blog over the weekend and sent me an email about it. Sorry, Mom, I still have yet to check my emails to see what you had to say. Mom told me I needed to bury a statue of St. Joseph in the yard to get it to sell quicker. Wish I knew that sooner. I was going to wait for her to mail me hers, but yesterday I got really mad at myself and wanted to do something to improve my situation, so I found the nea

Bad Dreams Go Away Magic Spell

Wow! Two posts in one day!!! I just had to blog about this. Indigo Girl had posted about her daughter having bad dreams and looking for advice. I had to post what we do in our house to keep away bad dreams. I have to admit it was one of my most brilliant mommy moments as I pulled this one out of my a$$ when I came up with it. When Phoebe was about 3 or 4 years old, she started complaining about nightmares. I knew it was half true and half stalling for bedtime. She has always been very into witches, wizards and spells (heck she was named after the character on Charmed and my due date was Halloween), so I came up with a magic spell on the spot to keep away bad dreams. I figured all it had to do was rhyme. I will share it with you all and feel free to try it if you need it: Bad dreams, bad dreams go away In Phoebe's dreams she must play She should dream of ice cream and cake Until the morning when she wakes She loves it! She still asks for it sometimes if she's had a ni

Phoebe's Fifth Grade School Picture

Here's Phoebe's 5th Grade School Picture.  I really like her in red or bright colors.  She's definitely becoming quite the little lady.