Skip to main content

An Old Baby Story Part 2

Blogger ate my Part 2 that I typed up last night. I'm going to try again this morning, but I'm seriously considering Typepad with everyone else that has fled.

If you are reading this, you may want to go to Part 1 first.

We decided to do amneocentisis. They said they wanted to check the AFP level in the amniotic fluid. If the AFP level was fine there, then the baby should be fine. If it was fine, they would need to screen me for cancer. Apparently a high MSAFP level can be attributed to cancer in females. They never told me what kind of cancers.

The AFP level in the amniotic fluid was normal. No problems. Baby should be fine. Then they did MRIs (had to be open, I'm terribly claustrophobic) and ultrasounds looking for cancer. They didn't find anything. They gave me and baby a clean bill of health and said they wanted me to come in for Level 2 ultrasounds every month just to check things out. Apparently, there's a correlation out there with unexplained high MSAFPs with the amniotic fluid getting low or the placenta degrading early later in the pregnancy. They said I should be able to go at least 36 weeks, so no worries. They just wanted to monitor us and classified it as a high-risk pregnancy.

We went in for the first Level 2 ultrasound, and things went south again. The ultrasound tech came back with the doctor who repeated the ultrasound and showed us what appeared to be a mass on the baby's lung. They said it looked like a cyst, and wanted me to come in every other week and sometimes every week to monitor it for any growth and to make sure it wasn't moving the baby's heart and affecting bloodflow. It seemed we couldn't get a break, just when everything was going OK, it went downhill again.

We decided to find out what the sex of the baby was from the amniocentisis based on this information. We wanted to be able to name the baby in case anything happened, she would at least have a name. We found out we were having a girl and named her Phoebe. We go this name not from friends, but from Charmed another TV show that apparently only tween girls know about. We wanted a unique name that would fit her personality. We found out in Greek that Phoebe means "bright, shining," and that made it even more perfect.

So at around 22 weeks, we knew we were having a girl named Phoebe, and we didn't know what her fate was going to be. We had fetal MRIs to look closer at her lung. We had to take these MRIs to the surgeons at a fabulous children's hospital here in Delaware. We discussed with the doctors there that she would need surgery either immediately after birth or a few days afterward. We met with neonatalogists as she would be in the NICU most likely after birth, and had weekly Level 2 ultrasounds and doppler scans of her bloodflow with the perinatalogists. This pregnancy sucked with anxiety.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bouncing Back From Depression

I've been pretty depressed lately. Monday I hit my all time low, which coincidentally was also my dad's birthday. Needless to say I'm sure I'm on his not favorite child list as I forgot to call him I was so depressed. This whole two mortgage thing with no contract in site is really frustrating. Especially when lots of other houses on our block are selling. Our house is really very lovely, just no pool. It has a really flat backyard perfect for putting a pool in though. Anyway, on Monday, Mom called to make sure I didn't forget to call Dad and tell me she read my blog over the weekend and sent me an email about it. Sorry, Mom, I still have yet to check my emails to see what you had to say. Mom told me I needed to bury a statue of St. Joseph in the yard to get it to sell quicker. Wish I knew that sooner. I was going to wait for her to mail me hers, but yesterday I got really mad at myself and wanted to do something to improve my situation, so I found the nea

Bad Dreams Go Away Magic Spell

Wow! Two posts in one day!!! I just had to blog about this. Indigo Girl had posted about her daughter having bad dreams and looking for advice. I had to post what we do in our house to keep away bad dreams. I have to admit it was one of my most brilliant mommy moments as I pulled this one out of my a$$ when I came up with it. When Phoebe was about 3 or 4 years old, she started complaining about nightmares. I knew it was half true and half stalling for bedtime. She has always been very into witches, wizards and spells (heck she was named after the character on Charmed and my due date was Halloween), so I came up with a magic spell on the spot to keep away bad dreams. I figured all it had to do was rhyme. I will share it with you all and feel free to try it if you need it: Bad dreams, bad dreams go away In Phoebe's dreams she must play She should dream of ice cream and cake Until the morning when she wakes She loves it! She still asks for it sometimes if she's had a ni

Phoebe's Fifth Grade School Picture

Here's Phoebe's 5th Grade School Picture.  I really like her in red or bright colors.  She's definitely becoming quite the little lady.