Skip to main content

An Old Baby Story (Part 4)

We'll continue from going into labor & delivery. Beautiful room, hardwood floors, my own bathroom with shower, loved that room! I spent the next 21 hours in this room. It was about 2:30 PM by the time I got settled in the room. My water broke at 10:30 AM. I didn't feel a single contraction until I got settled in the L&D room.

Ouch! The good thing is I practice yoga and really learned my breathing exercises well. These really do help, girls! I was going to do my best to do this without an epidural, because we didn't know if Phoebe was going to have to go right to the other hospital for surgery. We knew if that happened, there was no way I was going to stay checked into the hospital where I delivered. I had to be with my baby. I didn't want to wait for an epidural to wear off. I also have to admit, I don't like needles. I never even looked at the needle they used for amnio. Not even after they did the procedure. I laid down in denial that anything was going on until I got the big bruise on my belly later. I'd also heard of women whose spinal fluid was all messed up after having an epidural. I'm a bit of a control freak. I figured I could do this on my own.

Apparently I was pretty good at controlling the pain. The doctors and nurses were pretty surprised at my strength (me too!). There was a woman I could hear screaming in the next room. They told me she had an epidural and was still screaming.

After 6 PM my contractions started to fizzle. At midnight they gave me pitocin in my IV. It gave me a nasty metal taste in my mouth. They said I could eat mints, so I made someone go to the snack machine and get me some.

Oh, I almost forgot the support crew. They really were a crew. Since we were trying this natural, and I finally agreed to have it videotaped, I asked my friend Wendi to do this. I told my husband he had to be my support guy with my breathing, so he couldn't tape it himself. So my friend Wendi came and she was great. Her husband drove her and he stayed in the waiting rooms all night with the other family members in waiting. Also, I asked my SIL, Nicki, to be there, as she was going to be the Godmother and she'll probably never get to have her own children (she has Lupus). She probably wishes right now that she wasn't there, but that'll come later in the story. Since she doesn't drive, my other SIL, Darci, drove her to the hospital. We decided to ask Darci to stay.

Let's take a count. I had the following in the support crew - Tom (DH), Wendi (videographer), Nicki (godmother/aunt), and Darci (aunt). You're only really allowed 2 additional support people other than your coach/spouse, but I think they let me go since I wasn't having drugs.

The other thing I really remember prior to pushing was that around 4 AM the doctor came in to check on the progress. I was 7 cm dilated at the time and progressing nicely since midnight when they started the pitocin. Apparently I was very calm. The doctor thought I must've requested an epidural while he was gone (I always reserved that right to still ask). He said, "You're fine now that you have an epidural (looking up over my shoulder for the meds). Wait, you don't have an epidural! Are you OK?" Me: "Fine." Dr. "OK, keep going."

Stay tuned for Part 5! Oh, by the way, at first I didn't like the doctor that was delivering. He was the only male doctor in the practice, and I had him for my 32-week checkup where I had already gained 35 pounds. He made a comment about my weight and that I should stop gaining weight. I almost told him off, because it was all baby. My belly was huge, and I was only eating healthy food. I rarely ate ice cream or junk food. He turned out to be great in L&D, though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bouncing Back From Depression

I've been pretty depressed lately. Monday I hit my all time low, which coincidentally was also my dad's birthday. Needless to say I'm sure I'm on his not favorite child list as I forgot to call him I was so depressed. This whole two mortgage thing with no contract in site is really frustrating. Especially when lots of other houses on our block are selling. Our house is really very lovely, just no pool. It has a really flat backyard perfect for putting a pool in though. Anyway, on Monday, Mom called to make sure I didn't forget to call Dad and tell me she read my blog over the weekend and sent me an email about it. Sorry, Mom, I still have yet to check my emails to see what you had to say. Mom told me I needed to bury a statue of St. Joseph in the yard to get it to sell quicker. Wish I knew that sooner. I was going to wait for her to mail me hers, but yesterday I got really mad at myself and wanted to do something to improve my situation, so I found the nea

Bad Dreams Go Away Magic Spell

Wow! Two posts in one day!!! I just had to blog about this. Indigo Girl had posted about her daughter having bad dreams and looking for advice. I had to post what we do in our house to keep away bad dreams. I have to admit it was one of my most brilliant mommy moments as I pulled this one out of my a$$ when I came up with it. When Phoebe was about 3 or 4 years old, she started complaining about nightmares. I knew it was half true and half stalling for bedtime. She has always been very into witches, wizards and spells (heck she was named after the character on Charmed and my due date was Halloween), so I came up with a magic spell on the spot to keep away bad dreams. I figured all it had to do was rhyme. I will share it with you all and feel free to try it if you need it: Bad dreams, bad dreams go away In Phoebe's dreams she must play She should dream of ice cream and cake Until the morning when she wakes She loves it! She still asks for it sometimes if she's had a ni

Phoebe's Fifth Grade School Picture

Here's Phoebe's 5th Grade School Picture.  I really like her in red or bright colors.  She's definitely becoming quite the little lady.