An Old Baby Story (Part 3)

I’m typing this into MS Word first, so if I lose the post in Blogger, I can repost it later. It seems all my issues with Blogger are during evening hours, and that’s when I’d like to get this one done.

So I went for a Level 2 ultrasound and Doppler when I was 36 ½ weeks along. I had my 36-week appointment with one of the other OB/Gyns in the practice that week, as my regular OB was on vacation. I used to call my mom every Sunday morning to give her the baby update and how the tests were going. When she heard my doctor was on vacation, she told me that I would go into labor this week. I thought she was crazy! I had a scheduled induction for the week of October 24th, a week before my due date. Any way, I do remember Phoebe kicking me a lot the night before these appointments. I told Tom I thought she was looking for another exit.

It was October 5, 2000. After the ultrasound, Tom and I would go to Borders to get him a pumpkin spice coffee and me a decaf coffee. I went into the ladies room before we got our coffees. After I had just put myself back together, I felt a trickle. I took everything apart again. It was wet and clear, but I knew I still had bladder control and that only meant one thing. I came out and told Tom we had to go. I thought my water broke. He said, “What do you mean you think?” I explained the situation and I knew I still had bladder control, ha ha.

We went home even though the hospital was closer, because I didn’t have a bag packed yet. Plus I wasn’t sure if my doctor wanted to just see me early and then send me to the hospital. We went home, called the doctor. They must’ve thought I was stupid. They told me to go to the hospital and that I would go into Triage and if it was the real thing, they would call my doctor’s office.

We got a bag together, called the families, and went to the hospital. While doing this, things were leaking a little more, but still not that bad. We put towels down in the car so I could sit on them just in case. Thank God we did. By the time we got to the hospital, I was soaked. I walked in and they said, “Take the elevator and go to Labor and Delivery #16.” I remember 16, because that is my lucky number, but I also knew that meant I wasn’t going to Triage. I asked them about that and one of the Triage nurses came out. She took one look at my soaked pants and she said, “Honey, let me put it to you this way. We have 10 beds in Triage and there are 11 women back there already. You’re the only one we’re sure is staying.” I assumed that was because since my water broke I had to deliver in 24 hours.

I went to the room, called work and said I wouldn’t be coming in tomorrow and that it looked like my leave was starting today. So I actually worked up until the day before I delivered. More fun later on this story. I think even I’m getting bored at this point, but I know I need to get this all out.


Sara said…
Oh! I am ready for Part 4! :-)

I found your blog through another and went back and read some of your archives tonight. Thanks for putting me on your blogroll.

So sorry about the difficulties you have been having. I actually wrote a children's book about a family who experienced secondary fertility and I would love to get it published someday. I hope your day comes soon . .

Popular posts from this blog

Improving Habits

Diet Beta Test - Learning Starts April 24th