Skip to main content

2011 Goals - Happy New Year!

I have to say blogging has helped me in so many ways. It introduced me to people like Marcia who inspire me to live a more intentional life.

Yesterday, as we drove up to see my parents, which takes almost 3 hours to get to, DH and I took the time to discuss our goals for 2011. We have some really out there lifetime goals that we've worked on, but we decided, especially from Marcia's example to sit and think about what do we want to accomplish this year. I'm going to organize this better, but these are just some of the things we came up with, other than our exercising a certain number of days per week.

1. Put a certain amount of money toward our debt (yes we have some - I did a lot of IVFs and other holistic treatments, you know?)
2. Go to Cape May, NJ for our family vacation this summer
3. Put a certain amount of money in Phoebe's savings account.
4. Install 4 ceiling fans - 2 in upstairs bedrooms and 2 in the conservatory on the first floor
5. Make adjustments to increase our 401K retirement plans
6. Update our wills
7. Organize the garage (this will help with other house projects)
8. Plan our 2011 garden (what will we plant this year?)
9. Start planning out finishing the basement
10. Send taxes over to the accountant by Valentines's Day.
11. Reassess our 529 plans (college savings) - need to increase now that we have two more kids
12. Start learning French - both of us
13. Start piano lessons - me for now
14. Go out on at least 4 date nights per month (I think this often is a stretch goal, LOL!)
15. Clean out the papers in our office drawers - keep only what is necessary.

We had a lot of fun doing this and we even said we wish we started doing this sooner in our life. I like that we did our goals together, because if you know DH and I, we do most of our stuff in sync with each other. It's pretty odd, but we move around each other a lot like a well oiled machine. We do make a great team.

That said - Happy New Year!!! And write down some goals for this year and see if you can get them done! What do you think your goals would look like if you wrote them down?

Comments

Anonymous said…
4 dates a month?? wow. i'm not sure we could do that if we wanted to. i just don't have the energy :)

i make to do lists all of the time. i am pretty sure that my "resolutions" or "goals" list is already done somewhere and written down :)
Anonymous said…
We do these every year, too-- and ours look a lot like yours! I have to find a better way to manage paper, especially.

Queenie/BBorB
Rebecca said…
Piano lessons!!! I miss playing...wish we had a piano in our house!

I love this list...I made just two resolutions this year, but we seriously need to get a will in place!
Martha said…
Great list of goals! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Can I tell you how much I love this post?

LOVE IT!

Thanks for saying I inspired you - I needed to hear that today...

And of course, if you manage the 4 dates, please share your tips because that will indeed be fabulous.

I still need to write about the money thing! how we saw the financial planner and whatnot.
Anonymous said…
Happy new year! I like the 4 dates a month goal. I may make that mine except 2 may be more realistic for us right now! ;)
JEN said…
I need to work out my goals and get them on paper (or my blog)!

Thanks for sharing yours.

Popular posts from this blog

Bouncing Back From Depression

I've been pretty depressed lately. Monday I hit my all time low, which coincidentally was also my dad's birthday. Needless to say I'm sure I'm on his not favorite child list as I forgot to call him I was so depressed. This whole two mortgage thing with no contract in site is really frustrating. Especially when lots of other houses on our block are selling. Our house is really very lovely, just no pool. It has a really flat backyard perfect for putting a pool in though. Anyway, on Monday, Mom called to make sure I didn't forget to call Dad and tell me she read my blog over the weekend and sent me an email about it. Sorry, Mom, I still have yet to check my emails to see what you had to say. Mom told me I needed to bury a statue of St. Joseph in the yard to get it to sell quicker. Wish I knew that sooner. I was going to wait for her to mail me hers, but yesterday I got really mad at myself and wanted to do something to improve my situation, so I found the nea

Bad Dreams Go Away Magic Spell

Wow! Two posts in one day!!! I just had to blog about this. Indigo Girl had posted about her daughter having bad dreams and looking for advice. I had to post what we do in our house to keep away bad dreams. I have to admit it was one of my most brilliant mommy moments as I pulled this one out of my a$$ when I came up with it. When Phoebe was about 3 or 4 years old, she started complaining about nightmares. I knew it was half true and half stalling for bedtime. She has always been very into witches, wizards and spells (heck she was named after the character on Charmed and my due date was Halloween), so I came up with a magic spell on the spot to keep away bad dreams. I figured all it had to do was rhyme. I will share it with you all and feel free to try it if you need it: Bad dreams, bad dreams go away In Phoebe's dreams she must play She should dream of ice cream and cake Until the morning when she wakes She loves it! She still asks for it sometimes if she's had a ni

Phoebe's Fifth Grade School Picture

Here's Phoebe's 5th Grade School Picture.  I really like her in red or bright colors.  She's definitely becoming quite the little lady.